Lounge

Kevins
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 109.55

Lounge

Post by Kevins » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Welcome to the new lounge 8-)
Once you have registered, please click here... contact admin so we can manually confirm your registration. This is to block spammers as far as possible. Cheers.

Kevins
Site Admin

Re: Lounge

Post by Kevins » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 pm

I am so pleased we've survived the SPAM-pocalypse! We've set the forum so only members can post anything, anywhere. Please subscribe. It is the only way we will be able to offer value. Cheers.
Once you have registered, please click here... contact admin so we can manually confirm your registration. This is to block spammers as far as possible. Cheers.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:49 pm

We're just knuckling down on the last of the spammer issues. It appears, spammers identified as 'guests' are somehow able to still post but we will get to the bottom of it. We are acting with purpose!

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 pm

The weird spammers, especially 'guest' posters who manage to post even though guests and registered users (other than those set as 'Members') are blocked, still seem to be posting. Although we've cut down the numbers... the attempted registrations are relentless. Four pages of line by line every hour or so at the moment. So we'll just keep on tightening.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Only a few today but 72 fake attempted registrations. So, we'll get there. The measures are starting to work and life is looking like a fresh start again.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Checking we are alive :)

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

I am hopeful some of you will find your way to post soon. We need help to keep the community alive, active, energised this time.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 am

The weather is looking a bit wintery here. Be safe.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Understatement. It's blowing out there.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm

Was commenting to Sheree today how Facebook has become an overdose of marketing. A lot of marketing, sales, promotions, gimmicks, one-product stores, advertising, publicity links. And people seem to be oblivious to it all. It's worse than Television advertising. And with the Christmas period arising, it will get worse.

I wonder if there's a forum where you can (voluntarily) pay a subscription to build a great community without all the advertising.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Looking for new mountains

Deeply concerned over how the 50-70 age group are faring. It seems that once you hit that magical fifty mark, a great deal of human facing interaction changes. Don't tell me society isn't age prejudiced. It certainly is. You've a great deal more chance of an ideal job when you are 40-49 than 50+. Don't believe me? Wait and see.

Mind you, I can chuckle a little. I've climbed the mountain and seen how people change at the summit. Now I'm happy fishing round the edges. But there are other mountains. And if those mountains are rainbow coloured, meaning it helps all, I am going to be extremely happy to be a good servant as I go forward and start a new climb.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:29 pm

Tāwhao was a Kawhia rangatira, son of Kakati, who descended from Hoturoa, captain of the Tainui waka. Tāwhao and his son Turongo would establish the iwi we recognise today as Ngāti Raukawa and Ngāti Maniapoto (to mention two). Turongo was known for his pursuits of higher learning and set-up his headquarters near what is now Te Awamutu.

His pursuits remind us that nothing is without sacrifice and all good things worth having do take time.

Kāore i tū i roto i te rangi kotahi
It wasn’t built in a day

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Alfredo Torrejon
Updated Sep 15
Forums are not dead; they are just continually changing.

I have been using forums of one kind or another since the mid 1990s. The first type were the USENET newsgroups. I watched these go downhill into irrelevancy. The first problem was that most of these forums had no moderation, so as the user base exploded circa 1995–1996, the number of people who posted indiscriminately without first “feeling out” the culture and content of the groups skyrocketed. Established users became frustrated that they had to wade through frivolous and off-topic posts to find worthwhile discussions. Some people also figured out that they could use software to automate the posting of commercial messages to hundreds or maybe even thousands of groups. During this time, system administrators struggled as their USENET servers’ disks routinely filled up due to the explosion in traffic.

Serious users left USENET for moderated Web-based forums. Internet service providers started turning off their USENET servers. USENET still exists today, but one generally has to buy a subscription from a third-party USENET service in order to be able to post.

I use special interest Web-based discussion forums. I was not aware that the general level of involvement has waned. There is one forum I frequent that seems to have run past its peak of popularity. Perhaps on that specific board, the people who were looking to socialize moved on to Myspace and, later, Facebook, while the people who were seeking out a professional discussion space moved on to LinkedIn. None of those social media sites existed in the early days of that message forum.

As an example of my own usage of boards, some of my interests include electronics design and repair, radio listening, radio broadcasting, films, books, and Anthony Bourdain. I was persuaded to join Facebook. On Facebook, I might review a film that I have watched or a book that I have read, or I might talk about Anthony Bourdain’s adventures. I might mention that a local station has cancelled its morning newscast. I might talk about a news story that I heard reported on the radio. That is where I draw the line. If I want to discuss electronics, listening to distant or foreign radio stations, the history of specific radio stations, or the technical aspects of putting on a radio broadcast, I go to message boards that specialize in those subjects because my Facebook friends do not share these interests.

Quora is a slightly different animal in that it has algorithms to guide users into certain topic areas based on searches that they have entered, as well as questions that they have asked or answered. This has the convenience of being able to access all of one’s subjects of interests with one login, as opposed to creating accounts on multiple forums. However, Quora’s question and answer format is different from the discussion format used on forums.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Here are the top 10 forums on the Internet

Reddit 1.56 bill/mo (down from 1.66 bill/mo in 1/18)
Twitch 856 mill/mo (initial entry on this list)
Quora.com 662 mill/mo (up from 473 mill/mo) - stays 3rd
Github 586 mill/mo (new)
Imgur 412 mill/mo (new)
Stack Overflow 365 mill/mo (up from 315 mill/mo) - down 2 ranking spots
Discord 336 mill/mo (new)
Steam 267 mill/mo (new)
Medium 225 mill/mo (new)
IGN Boards 114.5 mill/mo (down from 193 mill/mo) - down 3 spots
as of 5/19/2019

Wow! Amazing stats.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm

It's good for the psychi if you consider championing something. It could be anything. Like, parenthood, learning a new skill, being a great soul mate. Wonder what your champion button is :)

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 pm

Yohoo…. Karen! I forgot to give you the sales cards I had with your hand knits printed on it. Remind me for the weekend.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Who backed their car into a petrol station bollard :(

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Jumps in to the lounge, coffee on hand. Thank you, Kiwi's for letting us have this space. I look forward to mission go...

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:03 pm

It's raining. There's a wee mains leak at the retreat home I want to get to but the weather needs to clear. Have some shelving to deliver and a fridge for the food pantry too so it will all be at the same time.

It's gone, wintry. A sleepy, wintry day.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Sheree's guarding home tomorrow... will be at the retreat home to do some maintenance. All good. A wee mains leak on the front lawn, a small leak in a bedroom ceiling. And going to take a fridge for the Free Food Pantry project. All gud!

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Pretty sure, for the last few years, this family has been going through forced change. So many times our deeply rooted values get shifted around. A lot, to do with how others interpret the simplest of acts.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Wow, Karen!

Don't know what to say... going to chillax then reply on the card reading.

Kevins
Site Admin

Post by Kevins » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Checks in.

Do you ever wonder. Just wonder. What it is that made your day a train wreck, may be the very thing you needed to gift you a beautiful future.

Just wondered.

@ Kevins « Thu 6:54 pm »
@ Kevins « Wed 9:59 pm »
has started a new topic: What really happens when you Die
@ Kevins « Wed 9:56 pm »
has replied to: Re: Lounge
@ Kevins « Tue 7:40 pm »
Evening. Shopping done!
@ Kevins « Tue 7:42 am »
Please ensure when you register, you get hold of KarenH or myself to activate your account (spam protection.)
@ KiplingAngel « Tue 6:40 am »
has replied to: Re: A card for the Forum
@ Kevins « Mon 9:53 pm »
has replied to: Re: Earthcare
@ Kevins « Mon 9:51 pm »
has replied to: Re: A card for the Forum
@ Kevins « Mon 9:07 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 8:56 pm »
An incredible card, Karen. Going to reflect on the card before responding in a reply there. Thank you so very kindly. Much aroha!
@ KarenH « Mon 8:08 pm »
has started a new topic: A card for the Forum
@ Kevins « Mon 7:35 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 7:34 pm »
has replied to: Re: KevinS Reading
@ Mistical Ice « Mon 6:51 pm »
has replied to: Re: KevinS Reading
@ KarenH « Mon 6:49 pm »
has started a new topic: KevinS Reading
@ Kevins « Mon 5:58 pm »
Please ensure when you register, you get hold of KarenH or myself to activate your account (spam protection.)
@ Kevins « Sun 8:02 pm »
@ Kevins « Sun 4:52 pm »
@ Kevins « Sun 10:51 am »
@ Kevins « Sat 8:53 pm »
That’s good. Thank you Trevor.
@ Guest « Sat 4:26 pm »
I loaded from your website in like 10 seconds max (Trev.)
@ Guest « Sat 4:25 pm »
Aaron? Who’s Aaron. Run’s n hides.
@ Kevins « Sat 3:57 pm »
2 Seconds load time.... woohooo.... Chat later, Aaron :)
@ Kevins « Fri 10:40 pm »
@ Kevins « Fri 10:39 pm »
@ Kevins « Wed 7:43 am »
Morning.
@ Kevins « Sun 4:32 pm »
@ Kevins « Sun 1:03 pm »
@ Kevins « Sat 6:04 pm »
has started a new topic: Community Food Pantry - Otaki
@ Kevins « Sat 4:35 pm »
@ Kevins « Fri 6:31 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 6:10 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 6:10 pm »
@ KiplingAngel « Mon 10:54 am »
@ Kevins « Mon 9:29 am »
Hi there Mrs. K.
@ Kevins « Mon 9:02 am »
@ Kevins « Mon 8:57 am »
has started a new topic: Helping your online activity
@ KiplingAngel « Mon 8:45 am »
has started a new topic: Hi de hi campers
@ KiplingAngel « Mon 8:36 am »
Hey Mr K
@ Kevins « Sun 8:47 am »
@ Kevins « Sat 11:40 pm »
has started a new topic: Earthcare
@ Kevins « Sat 11:36 pm »
has started a new topic: Otaki home & garden project
@ Kevins « Sat 9:33 am »
has replied to: Re: Forum focus
@ Guest « Sat 6:12 am »
@ Kevins « Thu 9:06 pm »
@ Kevins « Thu 8:57 pm »
@ Kevins « Thu 2:05 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 11:50 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 10:26 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 10:14 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 8:29 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 8:25 pm »
@ Kevins « Mon 8:18 pm »
@ Kevins « Sun 1:09 pm »
has started a new topic: Causes - what's yours?
@ Kevins « Sat 4:43 pm »
has started a new topic: Our Current Fund Raisers
@ Kevins « Thu 12:58 pm »
has started a new topic: DIY Summer Supplies
@ Kevins « Thu 12:07 pm »
has started a new topic: Technical services
@ Kevins « Wed 10:08 pm »
@ Kevins « Wed 3:44 pm »
has started a new topic: Recycling

Who is chatting

offline Kevins